Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Book of Hours

Rainer Maria Rilke
  
And God said to me, Write:
            Leave the cruelty to kings.
            Without that angel barring the way to love
            there would be no bridge for me into time.
And God said to me, Paint:
            Time is the canvas
            stretched by my pain:
            the watchful woman,
            the wounds of Christ,
            the city's sad bacchanals,
            the madness of kings.
And God said to me, Go forth:
            for I am the king of time.
            But to you I am only the shadowy one
            who knows with you your loneliness
            and sees through your eyes.
He sees through my eyes in all ages.

~

The Book of Hours 

 The Book of a Monastic Life: I, 53



No comments:

Post a Comment