Friday, November 16, 2012

Presence...




"When will the west wind blow?

When it shall choose, my good man, or when it shall please AEolus*; for God has not made you the manager of the winds, but AEolus. 
What then?
 
We must make the best use that we can of the things which are in our power, and use the rest according to their nature. 
What is their nature then?
 
As God may please. "


~ Epictetus, The Discourses, Book One
*Aeolus is the ruler of the winds in Greek Mythology

Epictetus often reminds his students that a man can only have control over himself, and can not control anything else in the Universe. 
The nature of everything that is outside of one's self is determined by God. 

So a man must observe and let everything be as it is... must not wish anything in the outer world to be different... and only strive to do the Work to strengthen his own Inner World, virtue and character.

This John Waterhouse painting reminds me that I can divide my attention and allow the world to be as it is around me. My task is to work toward inner stillness, acceptance and Presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment