Sunday, February 24, 2013

Expectations

by Francis Bernard Dicksee


I've been really feeling and seeing how these expectations come from both expectations of others and ourselves. I see how much identification, negative emotion, inner considering, etc come from expectations. When I slow down the conversations in my head, I see that usually I will state a fact about a situation - "that person just cut me off". And then the negative i's come - "I wouldn't have done that. etc, etc."
What helps me is to cut that i in half and just state what has happened without the judgement or expectation. When I do that, however brief I am able to bear it, there is an uncomfortable restlessness in my machine, like I am suspended, hanging in a moment. My soul then has the opportunity to emerge. It's another dimension that can break through my normal mechanical world.... even if it's for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment