Saturday, March 31, 2012

Buddha and Ananda


A Dialogue Between Buddha and Ananda

It happens spontaneously, because as soon as we sit at the edge of our intellectual center, we stop feeding it with our energy. This is the art of Transformation.
 
One day Buddha was walking through the forest. It was a hot Summer day and he was thirsty. He said to Ananda his older disciple:
 
“Ananda, go back. We passed a small stream four or five kilometers back. Bring me some water, Take my bowl. I am very thirsty and tired”- we was growing old.
 
Ananda went back, but when he reached the steam, a few wagons led by oxen had trampled it and made the water dirty. The dead leaves at the bottom had come to the surface, this water was not suitable for drinking, it was too dirty. He returned empty handed and said:
 
“You will have to wait a little. I will go ahead. I have heard that only four or five kilometers from here there is a great river. I will bring you water from that river”.
 
But Buddha insisted: “go back and bring me water from the creek”.
 
Ananda could not understand the master’s insistence, but if the Teacher gives an order the disciple has to obey.  In spite of the absurdity of the situation, - he has to retrace his steps four or five kilometers, knowing that water is not drinkable- he goes. While he is leaving Buddha says:
 
“Do not come back if the water is still dirty. If so, sit at the edge in silence. Do nothing, do not go into the creek. Sit at the edge in silence and observe. Sooner or later the water will be clear again, then, fill the bowl and come back”.
 
Ananda went back.  Buddha was right: the water was almost clear, the leaves had drifted, the dust had settled, but still it was not completely transparent, so he sat at the edge and observed how the river was flowing. Little by little the water became more and more clear. After that he came back dancing. Then he understood Buddha’s insistence. There was a message in this for him, and he understood. He gave Buddha the water, thanked him, and prostrated before him.
 
Buddha said: “What are you doing? I should thank you for bringing the water”.
 
Ananda said:
“Now I understand…... In the beginning I was upset, I did not show it but I was angry, because I thought it was absurd to go back. But now I understand the message. This is really what I need to do in this moment. Sitting by the edge of the stream I was aware of what happens in the mind. If I go into the stream I will make it dirty again.
 
If I go back into the mind, I will create more noise, more problems will begin to appear, to surface. Sitting beside it I have learned the technique. Now I will sit at the edge of the mind, observing it with all its debris, problems and dead leaves, hurts and wounds, memories and desires. I will sit indifferent at the edge and will wait for the moment in which everything is clear again”.



 
 

1 comment:

  1. Gracias John,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,gracias
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete