Friday, April 23, 2010

SOUL'S BREAKFAST - Day Seventy-one
















Sisters and Brothers of he Soul:

This poem touches me deeply. It was written by Rilke and inspired by this Bottichelli "Pieta" and by the sculpture of Jesus and Mary Magdalene that he observed in Rodin’s studio.
In Loving Presence…….
P

Mary Magdalene

Jesus, I gaze upon your feet once more,
Before, when I tentatively washed them, they were like a boy’s.
How they tangled in my hair,
Like a white deer in a briar.

Tonight for the first time I can see your limbs,
Without caress until now,
We never lay together,
And now I can only adore them and remain awake.

Your hands: how they have been torn my beloved
But not by me, not by my mouth,
Your heart is open and anyone can enter,
When for me alone should have been the entrance.

Now you are tired, and your weary lips
Have no desire for my aching mouth.
O Jesus, Jesus when did any hour belong to us?
How strangely we both now perish

~Rainer Maria Rilke  


No comments:

Post a Comment