Sunday, October 30, 2011

To Thine Own Self....



To Thine Own Self....

When we were younger we all would have learned that it is wrong to lie. The definition of “lying” would have been making up stories that aren’t true. That is a classic symptom of imagination that has been distorted and “the truth” as it were, has been obscured.  I had to have the definition of lying re-taught to me. I never knew that lying was knowing the truth and not acting accordingly. I thought it was absolutely fine to play out my childlike fantasies and scenarios in my head and shield this to the outside world.



In Hamlet we learn that “above all: to thine own self be true”. I realized then that the game was over – that any made up story in my mind from that moment on, would never again be mistaken for truth. Since learning this I have realized how my construction of reality was made up out of nothing, and every day has been an attempt of unlocking the potential of each moment. Ouspensky says that the moments in our memory that we remember most are ones where we were most present. Since learning the tools to “be true to myself” I am forced to brace those elements I shrouded in identification and imagination and be faced with them for the first time. It is no wonder that it is one of the 10 commandments “do not bear false witness” – that applies both externally (in life) and internally (in your soul).


No comments:

Post a Comment