Friday, November 11, 2011

Lifting a Finger...


Lifting a Finger... 

In this piece please note the definitions for the following terms:
First Line Work: Ones own efforts towards awakening.
Second Line Work: Efforts with another on the path. 
Third Line Work: Efforts towards the growth or service to the group, sanga, or school.

Mervyn taught that the three most important parts of our Work are Self-remembering, Chief Feature, and Non-expression of Negative Emotions. His words stayed with me and this became the topic of conversation with a fellow student. A vision came in a moment that a triad – every triad – is not just three separate things that are in some way related to one another, but that a triad is meant to be a living, breathing organism with its own level of Consciousness.   What makes this Consciousness possible is the “lifting a finger” and doing our parts to bring triads to life.

First, Second and Third Line Work are a good example of a living, breathing triad.  Energy cannot begin to flow from one type of work toward another and the system remains stagnant if I do not attempt to work on my machine upon entering the school.  No longer do I perceive these three parts of our Work as simply being parallel to each other, nor are they merely three parts of the Work that I must put into action simultaneously.  Now I perceive them as three interdependent organs of a living Being. Without my efforts they remain three separate points in space without a cardiovascular system to connect them. As a newer student I learned that efforts at First Line Work eventually move energy toward opportunities for Second Line Work, which will eventually present opportunities for Third Line Work, and all the while I must continue to work on myself. Second and Third Line Work present me with more opportunities to do that. Through effort and with help from the Gods, a Working Triangle has been put into motion. I must continue to Work for the motion to continue. This makes me feel like I am working with the Gods by emulating their creative process in a very real way.


No comments:

Post a Comment