Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lessons from Fairy Tales...

The wisdom inherent in many of the classic fairy tales is striking. 

The Beauty and the Beast is filled with many lessons. As I watch myself occasionally, briefly lose control,  I'm made aware of the long and difficult climb that is involved in civilizing the machine and living in the moment. As in the delightful fairy tale, the Beauty (soul) watches the Beast (the machine), and only after an extended period of time in which the Beast fed the Beauty with fine music, paintings, impressions, beautiful dinners, and civilized conversation, did the Beauty actually want to permanently team up with (marry) the Beast. 


Or take the story of the little Fir Tree who always spent its life in imagination dreaming of the wonderful things that would happen in the future, and thus passing by the many opportunities it had to enjoy the present. Finally, at the end of the Fir Tree's life, it realized too late that it had many wonderful moments in its life, but it had wasted them, as it was constantly dreaming about the future. Sometimes, I too am like the Fir Tree and miss moments as I sit in imagination about the future.

I've noticed that as in Cinderella, my own soul struggles with the never ending demands of the the two ugly step sisters that are a part of me. As in the fairy tale, it is a huge undertaking that my soul makes not to allow the two step sisters to occupy every moment of every day and to use up every ounce of energy that I possess. Meetings, beautiful impressions, being present feed me and give my Cinderella a chance.  

~JK


No comments:

Post a Comment